Pots and planters are a great way to spruce up your home or office space. They are also an excellent way to add some greenery to a room that may not have any. But pots and planters are not just for decoration. They are a crucial part of any plant’s life.
The difference between a pot and a planter is that the pot is usually smaller, while the planter can be of any size. Pots are usually used in small spaces, while planters are often used in larger spaces to hold larger plants.
There are many different things to consider when picking out pots and planters. The size and shape of the pot that you choose for your plants will have an impact on the way they grow, whether they will get enough sunlight, and how hard it will be to move them. This article will give you tips on how to pick the right pot for your plant.
Different Types of Pots and Planters
Bigger Planters v/s Small Pots:
A big planter can be used to grow plants that need more space. A small pot is good for plants that require little care and water.
Shop now for the Eva Metal Plant Pot in the Ecofynd store.
- They are the best option for plants that need more space.
- They can hold a lot of soil, which means they have more room for roots to grow.
- It is easier to water them, as they have a large surface area and the soil will dry out less quickly in comparison to smaller pots.
Shop now for the Gold Metal Plant Pot in the Ecofynd store.
- They are great for people who want something on the go or who live in an apartment with no garden space.
- These pots are easy to carry around and are better for smaller plants that grow vertically, such as a cactus.
Type of Material:
Planters and pots can be made of various materials, including clay, plastic, metal, and ceramic. The type of pot you choose will depend on the plants you want to grow as well as your personal taste.
Metal Planter or Pots:
Metal planters look very attractive and they come in a variety of colors, shapes, and sizes which make them ideal for any kind of space or garden. These planters can be used for all kinds of plants and will not rust or corrode.
Shop now for the Eva Metal Plant Pot in the Ecofynd store.
- These are very durable and relieve us of the burden of being broken or chipped or falling apart.
- Easy to clean off of any dirt or dust.
- Galvanized steel is even stronger and will be more weather resistant compared to other planters in your container garden.
- More vulnerable to scratches while scrapping.
- Metal containers can be quite heavy in large sizes and are not ideal to move around very often.
- When left in direct sunlight, metal containers can get very hot and damage the roots of your plants. For this reason, it’s best to keep metal planters in the shade.
Ceramic Pots or Planters:
Clay or Ceramic pots are one of the most popular types of pots that are available on the market. They have a flaky surface which makes them look very attractive. Clay pots can be used to grow all kinds of plants, but they should not be used to grow any plants that require a lot of water because they drain out water very quickly.
- They can support enormous growing foliage and are resistant to falling over in the wind.
- They both keep the moisture in and stop excessive heat from entering throughout the summer.
- They have better drainage as compared to clay.
- They easily crack and chip in cold weather, which can ruin the entire appearance of your plant.
- They are heavy and expensive.
Plastic Pots or Planters:
Plastic pots come in a range of sizes and shapes which makes them suitable for different plant types. Plastic pots are lightweight and easy to clean. They are inexpensive but not as durable as metal planters.
- They are affordable, and replacing them in the event of damage is simple.
- They are not much impacted by changing temperatures, therefore they are less likely to break or develop chips and cracks.
- Can be moved whenever you want because they are rather light.
- Not suitable for heavy plants.
- They are quite impermeable. As a result, the water circulation is inefficient. The foliage and its roots may become harmed by the trapped water and excessive dampness. You must make drainers and holes to ensure appropriate drainage.
Depending on the Shape:
Round Pot or Planters:
The round planters add shine to your dull space These small pots look cute and are suitable for your home, garden, office desk, and on-center table.
Our most popular round planter is the Alle Metal Pot with Stand due to its modern and stylish curves that ensure high stability.
Shop now for the Alle Gold Metal Plant Pot in the Ecofynd store.
Oval Pot or Planters:
The oval-shaped railing planter is the savior of a small balcony garden. It helps to make better use of space and adds an attractive touch to your balcony, fence, garden, and windows. It is suitable to grow ornamental plants, flowering plants, artificial plants, and other trailing plants.
Our bestseller Oval White/Gold 12" Balcony Railing Planter is an ideal choice when gardening in small areas.
Shop now for the Oval White Railing Planter in the Ecofynd store.
The large planters are ideal for your indoor and outdoor space. They come in round shapes which enhances the beauty of the space. They are suitable for large plants and are clearly the superior choice as the air-to-water ratio is the largest and enables better gas exchange.
Our Grey Bucket Metal Planter comes with a powder-coated finish and a modern sleek square design. They are strong and extremely durable.
Shop now for the Grey Bucket Metal Planter in the Ecofynd store.
Bowl Pots or Planters:
The small planters pot never fails to impress any with its elegant and classy look. You can use it as a coffee table centerpiece decorative pot or place it at the work desk.
Our small-size metal pot Zoe metal plant pot is better for a single plant, or just a few plants.
Shop now for the Zoe Metal Plant Pot in the Ecofynd store.
With and Without Drainage Hole:
Always choose a pot with drainage holes, which also ensures potting soil doesn't stay too wet after watering your plants.
If you choose a decorative planter that doesn't have drainage holes, you can still use it and the term is referred to as double potting, for a decorative outer container that hides a slightly smaller but plain container with drainage holes in which your plant is growing.
Which Type of Pot/ Planter Should You Choose?
It’s important to choose the right pot or planter type for your plants depending on what you want to achieve. Different pots and plant containers have different benefits and drawbacks so it’s important to know which one will work best for you.